WARNING: Notice to SUPPLIERS!!
BEWARE OF FRAUDULENT PURCHASE ORDER EMAIL ACTIVITY
The University of North Texas System wishes to alert suppliers of an active email scam involving purchase orders and request for product quotations that purport to originate from the University of North Texas System and/or one of its member institutions, but are in fact fraudulent. While the university cannot prevent this illegal activity, we are actively working with law enforcement to investigate these fraudulent email contacts.
We can share some common traits or themes of these fraudulent emails that may help reduce risk to your company becoming a financial victim of this scam:
- The email message is poorly written, with misspellings and awkward sentence structure.
- The sender’s email address or website link are not authentic to the University of North Texas System email addresses.
- Fraudulent email address examples:
- The message requests shipment/delivery of products to non-University addresses.
- The message may include an attachment that is designed to look like a purchase order, may include a log or other graphic, and a signature that may look legitimate.
If you believe you have a fraudulent email that appears to be from the University of North Texas System or one of its member institutions, you may forward it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org to verify its legitimacy before responding to the email or filling the order. You may also contact us by phone, Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm at (940) 369-5500.