Ending Employment


Employees ending employment at UNT, UNT Health Science Center or UNT System are not required to attend an exit meeting.

Faculty and staff at UNT Dallas are required to attend an exit meeting in the Human Resources Department and should complete the Report of Employee Separation prior to the meeting. You may contact them to schedule your meeting.

Please follow these steps to ensure a smooth transition. The following steps apply to all regular staff and faculty.

Exit Procedure

REQUIRED! Print the exit form, obtain signatures, and return it to the Business Service Center. HSC Employees: Take the form to Campus Police. 

Update Your Address

Change your address via employee self service. Please contact the Business Service Center if you need assistance. Changing your address will ensure that future correspondence reaches you.

Final Paycheck/Leave Balances

Final Paycheck

If you currently have direct deposit, your final paycheck will be direct deposited to your account in most cases. Check with your departmental payroll representative to verify.

Leave Balances

Employees who have more than six months of state service and are not transferring to another State agency will be paid for vacation time. If you leave employment mid-month, any unused vacation time is generally applied until the end of the month. Any remaining vacation time will then be paid out in a lump sum.

There is no payment for unused sick leave. If you wish to do so, you may donate your unused sick leave to the Sick Leave Pool.

Non-exempt employees will be paid for any remaining comp time.

If you transfer to another State agency, your vacation and sick leave balances will transfer.


ORP Participants

You should consult with your ORP carrier to discuss your options. The Business Service Center will send a letter to your carrier to inform them that you have left University employment and to indicate your status (vested/non-vested).

TRS Participants

If you have fewer than five years of TRS Service:

You have two choices:

  1. Withdraw the funds in your TRS Account. Federal income taxes will be withheld from the refund check. Refunds can take 8-12 weeks
  2. Roll your TRS funds into an eligible retirement plan.

Complete the Refund/Rollover Request Form (TRS 6). You should complete the form, sign it in the presence of a notary, and return it to the Business Service Center.  The BSC will complete the Certification of School Official and forward the form to TRS for processing.

If you have five years or more of TRS Service:

  • In addition to the choices above, you may choose to leave your account intact. Upon reaching retirement eligibility, you may request a monthly annuity from TRS. More information is available on the TRS website.

If you are transferring to another Texas public university or to an Independent School District:

  • Do nothing. You will continue to contribute to TRS.


Coverage End date

Regular staff members will remain on insurance programs through the end of the month in which they stop working. For example, if your last day at work is October 10, your insurance will continue through October 31.

Regular faculty, adjuncts, and benefits-eligible graduate students who complete the Spring Semester will remain on insurance programs through August 31.

Continuing your Coverage (COBRA)

You and/or your dependents may choose to keep your health and dental coverage under the Group Benefits Program (GBP) for up to 18 months after your coverage ends. This coverage is referred to as COBRA. If you choose COBRA coverage, you will pay the full cost of your premium(s).

If you transfer to another Texas public university or State agency, your insurance benefits will transfer. Contact the benefits coordinator at your new agency for details.

Unemployment Compensation

Regular faculty and staff members are covered by the Texas Unemployment Compensation Act and may be eligible for weekly benefit payments during a period of unemployment. The Texas Workforce Commission determines if a former employee is eligible for unemployment compensation. The cost is paid by the employer and no deductions are made from employee pay for this purpose. Visit the Texas Workforce Commission for more information.