BSC Solution Source Newsletter - November 2013
In this issue:
- Procurement Services:
- Preferred Vendor for Office Supplies
- Payroll Deadlines
- Distribution of IRS Form W-2 for 2013
- Verify Mailing, Email Addresses for Payroll & Tax Forms
- BSC Briefs
- Important Process Changes
Office Depot Identified as Preferred Vendor for Office Supplies
After completing an extensive cost saving analysis, an evaluation of total procurement process, and negotiations with several vendors, the UNT System Business Service Center (BSC) is pleased to announce PDME/Office Depot as the new preferred office supply vendor for UNT System institutions.
A committee comprised of staff members from each campus and the UNT System administration participated in the evaluation of potential preferred office supply vendors. The committee selected PDME/Office Depot as the preferred vendor, which was unanimously approved by the Business Services Operations Committee.
The BSC encourages departments to begin transitioning to PDME/Office Depot effective immediately. Departments will receive a “Welcome” email from the preferred vendor containing important program information in early November.
Classroom trainings and webinars will be offered either in the morning or afternoon on selected dates in November to ensure a seamless transition to the program:
- November 7: UNT System Office
- Conference Room 711, 10-11 a.m.
- November 14: UNT Health Science Center
- RES100, 9-10 a.m. or 2-3 p.m.
- November 18: University of North Texas
- BLB155, 9-10 a.m. or 2-3 p.m.
- November 19: University of North Texas
- Gateway 131, 9-10 a.m. or 2-3 p.m.
Office Depot’s ordering website is ranked very high among all internet retailers in the country, which will make for a smooth online ordering experience. Prior to training, PCard holders at UNT System institutions must register on the Office Depot ordering website, online at https://odams.officedepot.com/registrations/pdme_univofntx_reg.php.
PDME/Office Depot was selected based upon the following criteria:
- Overall cost savings
- Reporting capabilities
- Office Depot’s intuitive on-line ordering system
- Robust customer service
The BSC is excited about the transition to PDME/Office Depot for the purchase of everyday office supplies. It is estimated that departments at UNT System institutions will save up to 25 percent on office supply purchases in the first year. Department participation is crucial to the success of the program.
Once received via email, please review the program manual and other valuable information. You may immediately begin using the Office Depot website to place your office supply orders to realize and maximize savings. Or, feel free to wait to use the site after attending the onsite training classes scheduled at member institutions.
For answers to questions regarding the program please contact the BSC at 940-369-5500, toll free to 855-868-4357, or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The payroll deadlines for November 2013 – January 2014 are posted online at http://bsc.untsystem.edu/payroll_deadlines.
Distribution of IRS Form W-2 for 2013
It is almost that time of year again when employees will begin to prepare for the tax season. You are encouraged to sign up to receive the annual IRS Form W-2 electronically.
In addition to saving paper and time, there are several other benefits to employees who elect to receive the W-2 online:
- Earlier access to the Form W-2.
- No possibility the Form W-2 might be lost, stolen, delayed or misplaced.
- You can retrieve the Form W-2 statements at any time of the day and on weekends on a secure website.
- You can print multiple copies at your convenience.
- Once you consent to receive the Form W-2 electronically, no action is needed in future years.
Learn how to sign up to receive the W-2 electronically by accessing https://bsc.untsystem.edu/payroll-resources.
For employees at University of North Texas, UNT Health Science Center, UNT Dallas and UNT System Administration, W-2 Forms will be available on MyUNT/MyHSC during the last week of January. An email will be sent to notify employees who have elected electronic distribution that the form is available. For employees who still wish to receive paper W-2 forms, the documents will be mailed to home addresses and postmarked by January 31, 2014.
Verify Mailing, Email Addresses for Payroll & Tax Forms
Employees are reminded to review their personal information saved in EIS.
Employees who still receive printed paper payroll checks, but do not have the check delivered at their workplace will have their checks mailed to the home address on file. Additionally, correct email addresses are needed to ensure notification of W-2 availability is sent to employees participating in electronic distribution.
To verify or update contact information:
- Access http://bsc.untsystem.edu/employee-self-service and click on MyUNT/MyHSC.
- Sign in to the portal and click the “Human Resources” tab.
- In the Employee Self-Service block, select “Personal Information Summary”.
- Click the appropriate link to change or update information that needs attention.
- Click “Save”, then “Return to Personal Information Summary” link in order to update other personal info.
- Click “Sign Out” when complete.
Important Process Changes
The following items were approved for implementation by the Business Services Operations Committee as of October 9, 2013:
- Payroll Exception Request - Unanimously approved:
The BSC recommended implementation of a paycheck exception process for non-scheduled “off-cycle” payroll requests that are made as a result of missed payroll deadlines. The exception request will require the approval of the Department Head and appropriate Vice-President or Dean.
The procedures for the exception request will be communicated in November and December for a January 2014 implementation date.
- Meal Reimbursement Choices between per diem, limited per diem, and/or actual rates - Unanimously approved:
The BSC recommended allowing department heads to make the decision to either follow per diem, limited per diem, and/or actual rates. The decision would be documented on the face of a travel budget authorization form that will be submitted with each travel reimbursement voucher. Per Diem and limited per diem rates would not require receipts while actual rates would require receipts for reimbursement.
Per diem and limited per diem would be reduced to 75% of the rate on the first and last day of travel (this is in line with GSA travel guidelines).
This reimbursement choice will be documented on a future travel authorization form to be announced later in November/December for a January implementation date.
- Supervisor Approval of Travel on new form - Unanimously approved:
The BSC recommended requiring supervisor approval prior to travel on a Travel Budget Authorization form (TBA). This form will be used to obtain prior approval for expected travel expenses and approval from supervisor, deptid/projid holder, and Research Services/Grants, as needed, and required for submission with the reimbursement voucher for processing.
- This TBA form could replace currently used campus request to travel forms.
- Before implementation, BSOC will reach out to campuses to form travel focus group.
- A Travel Advisory Group (TAG) has been identified and will be holding their initial meeting November 11th to discuss which types of travel will require approval.
- The form language and design will be discussed and will reflect that approval applies to travel on all sources of funds, not just state funds.
Use of the form and additional travel training will be targeted for late November/December for a January implementation date.
- Mileage Reimbursement Documentation - Unanimously approved.
The BSC recommended that retention of the supporting documentation for mileage claims is not necessary and should therefore be eliminated from retention at the department and/or the BSC level. The TAG group will discuss the appropriate language to be included in the travel guidelines to document our online mapping service. Training on the appropriate use of the online mapping tool will begin in late November and December.
Additional travel training will be targeted for late November/December for a January implementation date.
General Information/Upcoming Events
- UNT A-Team/BSC Partners Meeting
Friday, November 8, 3-5 p.m., Location TBD
- BSC/HSC Partners Meeting
Wednesday, November 13, 10-11:30 a.m., RES100
- ePAR Training Session
Thursday, November 14, 2-3:30 p.m., BSC 4202A
- BSC/UNT Dallas Partners Meeting
Friday, November 22, 9-10 a.m., DAL2 Room 208
- BSC/UNT System Administration Partner Meeting
Friday, November 22, 11 a.m.-12p.m., Room 711